The last two Tap Parties we have hosted we have served our tasty brews and what better to go with them than soft pretzels. Â We found this great recipe on allrecipies.com and have modified it slightly to be used in the bread machine. Â Why spend hours kneading and punching down dough when the bread machine does it for you? Â The dough cycle take 1.5 hours and then the fun begins of rolling out the dough into those great twists. Â From there the twists go through a 2 minute boil in a baking soda bath. Â This helps them brown up and gives that great pretzel taste. Â After the bath they get salted and baked in the oven. Â The best pretzels are the ones right out of the oven, soft, chewy and just down right delicious! Â If you are interested in making your own soft pretzels I have included the recipe, just be warned that one batch may not be enough.
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping
- In the bread machine add the wet ingredients with the sugar and yeast in the bottom, then add the dry ingredients. Â Set the bread machine to the dough cycles and sit back and relax.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a large pot, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
- When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is all shaped, boil each pretzel into the baking soda solution about 1 min on each side and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.